Sunday, February 20, 2011

Catholic Truly Means "Universal"...just with a couple differences


Laura and I went to student mass on campus today (our third Mass in South Africa). It’s put on by a small group called ACTS, held in a classroom, and said by the priest from the church that is basically in our backyard. It sounds simple when described thus. The experience itself is anything but. The songs were a mix of English songs we’ve all sung since elementary school and songs in Xhosa and other tribal and African languages. I’ve never heard a group of young people sing with such emotion and such smiles before. I’ve never felt so welcome in a new group of students before. It was interesting to see the differences in the style of mass as well as changes in wording. I can tell you that replacing the words you’ve prayed for years with a different version is much harder than one would think. No matter how many times I remind myself that I am supposed to respond with “And with your spirit,” I inevitably say “And also with you.” The differences in the Penitential Rite and the Nicene Creed catch me off guard to be certain. You can spot the Americans, even in Mass, because we are the ones saying all the wrong words. I report all this, not to complain, but rather to share the excitement of a new kind of Mass.  Each time I go to Mass, I notice something new and different. I notice how they sing a part we speak and visa versa. But most of all, through all of these new songs and new voices, I realize something new. God knows every language. His love knows no bounds. When I hear the new chorus singing, I hear a different note played by the Lord. God shines through in all the smiles and the diverse voices in a new and exciting way. I can’t wait to keep seeing Him shine.

2 comments:

  1. Tears are running down my face. I love your heart. Thanks for bringing everything you are doing to life for me. What beauty you have expressed through your view of God and the mass. It is amazing how Catholic is universal. I'm going on facebook now to look at your pictures. God bless you. Love Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to share the experience. I kept thinking of you during mass yesterday because I knew you would have loved it. I hope all is well in Minnesota! Miss and love you guys!

    ReplyDelete