Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fall Break: Durban Day 2


Thursday, 28th April
             The second day in Durban was lovely in all it’s simplicity. We returned to Florida Road and the African Art Center. The moment I stepped in the room, I wanted to take it all home. I planned to be generous and split it with my Grandmother but alas I don’t think my suitcase was large enough. I settled for getting both of us a Zulu wire basket but thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the explosion of colors. After we spent almost 2 hours in the African Art Center, we made our way to the new and improved accommodation, Surf ‘n Dreams. It was inviting, warm, clean, and safe! There was a locked gate and then a thumb scan entry into the house itself so compared to the lovely Banana, we were quite happy. We ran into a Tommy grad (St. Thomas in Minneapolis, for those who are unaware, are the largest (friendly) rivals of the illustrious Bennies and Johnnies of CSB/SJU) who was traveling the world. We settled into the place, feeling safe about leaving our things as one should in a backpacker, and made our way down to the famous beaches of Durban. The walk provided a great view of the pretty part of Durban. Once to the beach front we grabbed a bunny chow (1/4 loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with curry) and ice cream and browsed the vendors. On the way home, we decided to try the Kombis of Durban seeing as we are pros at the public taxis in PE now. We asked around and found our way onto the correct Kombi and were told where to get off and transfer. At the transfer location, we were greeted by students who seemed to be astounded that we had been riding a Kombi. They asked us questions and took a picture, as if to provide evidence that yes, they did see a bunch of white girls on a Kombi. Once we had shaken the gawkers, who were quite normal and friendly thankfully, we got on the next Kombi and were yet again gawked at and asked questions. The only problem came into play when we had to shift seats. We got off the Kombi at our stop and my heart plummeted to the sidewalk when I felt my empty pocket. My feet carried me faster than I knew possible, chasing after the Kombi whose backseat carried my camera. Alas, my short legs could not carry me as fast as a Kombi can drive and I became resigned to the fact that the camera was gone and someone else was very happy to have my Christmas present in their possession. Dinner and drinks on Florida Road that night were a nice consolation prize. I had a curry roti wrap, which astonished us all when it came out at least double the size of a Chipotle burrito. Needless to say, I did not finish the beast. We went to bed full and happy, albeit lacking a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment